Pages

Monday, August 25, 2008

Hot and Dry August

We had such a beautiful early summer. It was cool and there was so much rain. August has been hot and dry. Not that I am complaining. I like the late summer and thankfully this year hasn't been incredibly humid. Last week, knowing the end of summer was drawing near, we took advantage of the hot weather we missed in the beginning of the summer and biked to the pool.

I always enjoy biking with my girls. It is a little bit of exercise, but it is also a little chance to chat. Last summer, Bear was still in the trailer with Bophie so it gave me some one-on-one time with Banana. This year Bear is on the bigger two-wheeler and I am enjoying the talks we have as we bike around the neighborhood.

On this particular afternoon I was reminded of how hot and dry it has been and how dead the lawn is since we haven't yet watered. We planted some new holly bushes that I may have neglected to the point of no return. I also am a little worried about a poor tree that is losing too many leaves too early.

Bear put it all in perspective on our bike ride. We passed a house with a nice lush lawn, well tended, sprinklers going full blast. As we turn the corner Bear asks,"Why do you think they have sprinklers going without any kids playing in them?" I love the priorities of a 5 year old. I hope our sprinklers are always growing kids... I think today I'll water the lawn/kids.

No comments: