Pages

Friday, December 19, 2008

Last Days in Chongqing

I only have a moment to post about our last days in Juliana's home province. She is napping, but we will have to wake her to catch our plane to Guangzhou.
Remember I said the Christmas decorations here just weren't the same. Here is Juliana's first picture with Santa Clause. She didn't know what to make of the skinny guy with the beard... neither did I.

These girls are selling something in the lobby of our hotel room. David has threatened to buy me one of these outfits just to help me get in the holiday spirit.



We also went to tour Old Town Chongqing. It was a nice place and I enjoyed seeing something other than the mall that surrounds us. Chongqing built up around this little village and it is amazing how it has grown.



Another picture of Old Town. Did you notice how bundled little Juliana is? It was over 60 degrees and she was making me warm. Even like this, we still get harangued by the local grandmas.




While the rest of our group decided to go to Pizza Hut for dinner (they were tired of Chinese food), we decided to be brave and stick with the local fare. I am not sure this was such a good idea. We started with octopus tentacles on a stick. While it looks and sounds awful, they dredge the things in so much spice you can't actually taste anything after the first bite.

Then we went to a little restaurant we had seen a few days ago. It looked like a nice place and there were lots of pictures so we could point to what we wanted. It was decent until David decided to try his chicken soup. This is what he found.

We stopped by McDonalds on the way back to the hotel.
Off to Guangzhou, more to come.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah the wonderful chicken feet. Must confess to loving those when I was young. I probably won't eat them anymore unless it's for the Amazing Race :-) Bundling up babies is a very Asian thing to do I'm still trying to "deprogram" myself. My husband has to constantly remind me we do not live in Alaska. Now that I think about it, 60 degrees is VERY cold where I came from. Loved seeing all the photos, you guys look so happy. We're praying for your safe trip back.

Unknown said...

I don't think I could have handled the food, bu tthe reward you have is so wonderful! Juliana is so beautiful and she looks so content!

Kim H. said...

Oh my word - that chicken foot almost made me throw up a little. Don't even tell me they eat that?.....

Juliana looks so content. I can't wait to hear EVERYTHING. And you look like you're holding up great.

Hey, did you hear Shannon had her baby? A GIRL! Can you believe it? They named her Ann - or with an (e) at the end, I'm not sure.

Hugs and safe travels.
Love and miss you!

Herd Momma said...

So glad I wasn't eating at the computer. Ok, time to come home when you find feet in your food. Never thought a Big Mac would sound that good.
Safe traveling. and again thank you for taking us all along.

Sara said...

I'd stick with the fried octopus tentacles! Lol on the chicken foot!