Pages

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Pumpkin Spice Lattes

A week or so ago, I took the girls to Mass in the morning and followed it up with a trip to Target for new socks and some snacks for a soccer game on Saturday morning (I could digress here and post about the stress of bringing team snacks to kids sporting events, but I won't-- now.) Target had this wonderful idea a few years ago to entice mothers like me into their store, rather than the three others within a block, they put in a Starbucks. I've been hooked since.

This particular morning, the Starbucks at the front was advertising the return of the Pumpkin Spice Latte. Doesn't that just sound amazing? The perfect drink on a crisp, autumn morning? I really wouldn't know. See, I am too cheap to buy one. I find it aluxury to buy a cup of coffee for an already ridiculous price, and I won't spend the outrageous $4 or more for the latte. I typically order a misto (half coffee half steamed milk) which is about half the price. I have issues, I know. I digress again, back to the socks.

We made our way through the sock aisle for the big girls, the sock aisle for the little girls, and picked up a few other household products and then made our way to the checkout. I am amazingly conspicuous with my four girls in tow during normal school hours. At the checkout counter, I put my credit card in the little machine (have you ever noticed how fast those little readers at Target are? They take your money in hundredths of a second), and wait for my receipt.

The girls typically clamor for the printed coupons that spit out after the receipt. I don't understand their fascination with such things, but the bickering that ensues for silly receipts is amazing to me. That day, however, the coupon was for $2 off a Pumpkin Spice Latte. I thought I had won the lottery. Despite having to wrangle the girls away, I carefully tucked that gem of a coupon in my wallet to save for a rainy day.

My excitement over a coupon was bad enough, but I was actually tacky enough to share that story with some other moms as we were chatting last Sunday. Really, as if anyone cares about my luck with the coupon machine at Target. (Am I making matters worse by blogging it?) Later, I thought about the conversation and was thankful these friends are so kind as to put up with my bantering. I am blessed to have such friends.

Not only did these friends listen politely to such silly stories (and it says a lot about your friendship if you are still reading this crazy post, especially since decorum does not prevent you from walking away, you can close the window and I will never know), one of them was really paying attention. She told me yesterday that she had to run some errands and had stopped by Target herself. At the checkout counter, she anxiously awaited the coupon that would spit out for her with visions of Pumpkin Spice Lattes dancing in her head. Alas, she said she did not have my coupon good fortune. Her coupon was for $1 off Charmin Toilet Paper.

5 comments:

Ana Maria said...

My story is similar to yours. I went to the Target Starbucks and got a coupon for a free Caramel Macchiato with a catch...it had to be purchased the same day after 3pm or something silly like that. I bought the coffee at 2:30, it was so tempting to hang out for another half-hour but my virtue for the month was temperance lol. Love your bargain stories, I promise not to close the window ;-)

Unknown said...

Love bargains! And I love the stories!

Kim H. said...

Oh Nikki, how I miss you so! I wish we could gab about these kinds of things in real life! :)

And I am a huge fan (budget permitting) of the pumpkin spice latte -- our target had samples out a few weeks ago -- and it was the frozen version (may be cause it's still hot here and no one could imagine a fall drink yet) and I have to say -- it was delish!

Right now I am feeling lucky as I have $35 in Starbucks gift cards -- one perk to turning 40!!! :)

Hugs!

Regina said...

i stuck with that whole story and am wondering
1. DID YOU EVER GET THE LATTE?
and
2. how did it taste? i must know the taste.
jessica (showerofroses) raves about them and i told tug to get me one but he said they aren't that good. he then told me the price and i said forget about it.
he is a caramel macchiato fan.
r

Nikki said...

No Regina, I haven't tried it yet. The coupon expires 10/31 so I knew I had awhile. It is only good at Target and I am trying to curb the spending with the impending adoption expenses. I find at Target I go in needing $30 worth of stuff and walk out with $80 worth of stuff I didn't know I needed until I walked in the store. I will keep you updated when I finally make it back there :)